Important Ergonomics Facts & Injuries Statistics (Infographic)
Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSD) Facts from Evans:
- Musculoskeletal disorders (MSD) are injuries or disorders of the muscles, nerves, tendons, joints, cartilage, and spinal discs.
- MSDs are the leading cause of pain, suffering, and disability in the American Workplace.
- MSD strikes 1.8 million American workers each year.
- 58% of MSD cases are from operators, fabricators, laborers; and persons in technical, sales, and administrative support occupations.
- 30% of all worker's compensation costs are from MSD.
- Ergonomic-related injuries require 38% more time away from work.
- Ergonomic-related MSD cases are on average 11 days away from work. Compared to the average illness or injury case which is 8 days away from work.
- MSD cases account for 33% of all worker injuries and illnesses.
- $1 of every $3 spent on workers' compensation stemmed from ergonomic issues.
- The majority of work-related injuries are ergonomic injuries.
- Ergonomic injuries (MSD) are injuries caused by exposure to ergonomic risk factors, such as repetitive strain, prolonged awkward posture, prolonged exposure to abnormal temperature or vibration, or forceful exertion or pressure upon a particular body part.
- MSDs account for almost 400,000 injuries/illnesses per year (45.4% Neck, 14.6% Shoulder, 7.2% Leg, 6.4% Wrist, 5.9% Multiple, 5.2% Abdomen, 4.5% Arm).
- Direct vs. Indirect costs
- Direct Costs: Workers compensation insurance, indemnity payments to injured employees, medical care expenses.
- Indirect Costs: Lost productivity or service standards, temporary labor and overtime costs, employee training and replacement costs, employee training and replacement costs, administrative time following accidents.
- Benefits of ergonomics: Preventing workplace injuries can reduce costs, improve productivity, improve quality, improve employee engagement, and create a better safety culture.
Thanks for reading about the importance of ergonomics in Musculoskeletal Disorder prevention! Do not hesitate to contact us by email, phone, or our contact form by clicking below: